For Pear Tree’s younger students, West Coast Creatures offered the perfect balance of fun and learning.
Each day the students studied a different west coast creatures, including hummingbirds, sea stars, orcas, and bears.
The kids went on a field trip to the Jericho beach and the Vancouver Aquarium where they explored marine life, both big and small.
During the course, the students did the following things:
- made a hummingbird feeder
- made a diorama of a bear’s habit both in winter and in summer
- did an experiment to demonstrate how blubber keeps an orca whale warm in icy oceans
- did an experiment of a how hummingbirds drink
- made a model of sea star suction cups